Castello, Arsenale and S.Pietro Church

The largest of the sestieri took its name from an ancient fortress built in the VIIIth century on the site where now St.Peter’s cathedral stands. The church was the seat of the venetian bishop until 1807, the existing building was redone in the XVIth century on a project by Andrea Palladio. Leaving the quiet island of San Pietro we get across S.Elena’s island and the public garden where the Biennale Contemporary Art Ehibition is held and we reach the Arsenale, the dockyards where the Republic built her powerful ships, both for commercial and war use. There’s much more to be discovered…our walk goes on up to the gothic church of SS.Giovanni e Paolo, the pantheon of the venetian doges, standing in the lovely square that bears the same name, together with the Scuola Grande di San Marco and the equestrian monument of Bartolomeo Colleoni, masterpiece of the renaissance sculpture. Penetrating into the innumerable alleyways we’ll reach Santa Maria Formosa square with the fine church and the Querini Stampalia foundation, or we’ll walk back to St.Mark’s square along the sunny Riva degli Schiavoni.

Duration: minimum 2 hours
Extra costs: entrances into churches or museums